These quick, and delicious, homemade pizza buns are just like the ones from the grocery store, possibly even better. These lovely, cheesy buns are topped with your favourite pizza sauce and will quickly become a favourite for lunches on the go, or to bring to a potluck.
Pizza buns from the grocery store have always been delicious, and a favourite treat of mine when I forget to eat before grocery shopping. But now you can enjoy them more often, and in a larger quantity, with this perfect recipe. These homemade pizza buns are really easy to make, and will be a guaranteed crowd pleaser. You can use your favourite pizza sauce, or make your own like I do Family Pizza Night. These buns freeze extremely well, during the school year I keep large batches in the freezer so that I can grab for quick lunches as needed.Jump to Recipe
HOW TO MAKE PIZZA BUNS
For this recipe I like to make 16 buns, as that is the perfect size for tucking in a lunch box. If you’d like them to be a larger bun, like the grocery store, then only make 8 buns.
Start making the dough by placing the warm water, and sugar, into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over top of the water and stir. Allow this to sit about five to ten minutes while the yeast bloom.
Then add the flour, oil, and salt to the bowl and stir until everything is just combined and shaggy. Now knead the dough using the hook attachment, or by hand, until the dough is smooth, elastic and still a little tacky. Place the prepared dough into a large, greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise in a warm, draft free, location until it has doubled in size.
While the dough is rising prepare two baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper, then set aside.
Once the dough has doubled in size, remove it from the bowl to a lightly floured surface. Then use your hands to pat the dough into a large circle. Cut the circle of dough in half, then cut those two pieces in half so you have four pieces. Cut the four pieces in half again, now you should have 8 pieces (this is where you stop if you want large sized pizza buns). Finally cut those 8 pieces in half so you have 16 pieces of dough total.
Now, working one piece of dough at a time, roll the dough into a rough ball. Then stretch into a circle and place onto the parchment lined sheet. Do not worry if the circle doesn’t stretch very much you will come back after you’ve shaped them all to give one final stretch. Repeat this process until all the pizza dough is used and you have 16 circles of dough. Then, starting back at the first dough circle, give them one last stretch so that you end up with a circle that is about 4-5″ in diameter.
With all the dough prepared use a tablespoon, from your cutlery drawer, and add a generous spoonful of your favourite pizza sauce to the top of each pizza bun. Spread the sauce evenly over the top of the dough using the back of the spoon, then top with a generous amount of cheddar cheese ( or mozzarella, or whatever your favourite cheese happens to be). Allow the buns to rest about 20-30 minutes, or until they are just starting to get puffy around the edges.
While the buns are resting preheat the oven to 375 degrees and make sure the racks are in the upper and lower third of the oven.
Once the buns are ready place them into the preheated oven to bake for about 20-25 minutes, make sure you switch the trays from the upper and lower positions halfway through the baking time. Once the buns are finished baking remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for about five minutes before serving. The buns will stay good about 3 days at room temperature in an airtight container.
If freezing, allow the buns to cool completely before placing in an airtight freezer safe container. If you are going to be stacking the buns on top of each other a piece of parchment between them makes for easy removal from the freezer.
Homemade Pizza Buns
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp. active dry yeast
- 3 cups ap flour
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil canola or vegetable oil is fine too
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ cups pizza sauce homemade or store bought
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese or mozarella
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the warm water and sugar, then sprinkle the yeast over the top. Allow to rest about 5-10 minutes as yeast proofs.
- Add the flour, oil, and salt to theyeast mixture stirring until just combined. Then use the dough hook, or your hands, and knead the dough for about 5 minutes. It should be smooth and elastic, with a little tackiness to the dough.
- Place the prepared dough into a large metal bowl, that has been greased with butter, then cover the top with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rest in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
- Prepare to baking sheets by lining them with parchemnt paper.
- Once dough is doubled turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Use your hands to pat the dough into a large circle. Cut the circle of dough in half, then cut those two pieces in half again. You should have four pieces of dough, cut those four pieces of dough in half again. Now you should have 8 pieces (if you want large buns stop here) finally cut those pieces in half so you have a total of 16 dough pieces.
- Working one piece at a time, roll the dough into a rough ball then stretch into a circle. Repeat this process with all the remianing dough. Once that is finished start back at the first circle and gently stretch the dough so you have a final circle that is about 4-5" in diameter, repeat this with all the dough circles.
- Now top each bun with about 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce and spread it into an even layer using the back of the spoon. Repeat this process with all 16 buns. Finally top each bun with a generous amount of shredded cheese.
- Allow the prepared pizza buns to rest about 20-30 minutes,until the edges are just starting to look puffy. During this time preheat your oven to 375 and make sure your oven racks are in the upper and lower third of your oven.
- Once the buns are ready place one tray up, and one tray on the lower rack of your oven and bake for 10 minutes. Switch the up and lower tray positions and allow to bake another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the buns from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from tray to serve.