Oatmeal Coconut Cookies are crispy, buttery cookies with a chewy bite. They’re perfect for snacking and packing in your lunch, or even in the morning with your cup of tea. These subtly sweet cookies with a mouthwatering coconut flavour, come together easily using pantry staples you probably already have on hand!
How to Make Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
Start by preheating an oven and lining cookie trays with parchment. Then, in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter and both sugars. Mix on medium high until well incorporated and lightened in colour, about 2 minutes. Then add the egg and vanilla and stir again until just incorporated.
Once all the wet ingredients are fully incorporated add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt then mix again on medium high until just combined. Add the rolled oats and shredded coconut and mix a final time on medium speed until evenly mixed through out the dough.
Now pinch off about 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a 1″ ball and place on the prepared cookie trays. Repeat until all the dough has been used. To flatten the cookies a bit, dip the bottom of a glass in a bit of flour, to prevent sticking, and use it to flatten each ball. Repeat this process until all the cookies are pressed. The cookies are now ready for the oven, or you can add half a maraschino cherry to each cookie like I have done with some here.
Bake until just the outside edge of the cookie is starting to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Store Oatmeal Cookies
This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies and will keep in an air-tight container at room temperature for about a week. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees and line cookie trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat well on medium high until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until just combined.
- Stir in the coconut and rolled oats until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Roll into 1" balls and place on prepared cookie trays. Once all the dough has been rolled into balls use the bottom of a glass to press down into an even circle.
- Place the prepared cookies into the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the outside edge of the cookie is turning golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place on a wired rack to cool. Enjoy