These Peanut Butter Cookies are delicious and perfectly crisp on the outside but chewy and tender on the inside. They are loaded with peanut butter flavour and are exactly what a classic peanut butter cookie should be!
These cookies have an earthy nutty flavour that doesn’t overpower its melt in your mouth texture. Coated in sugar, they have a nice sweet balance to the natural salt of the peanut butter. A buttery, moist cookie so simple to make, it is the perfect traditional addition to a holiday cookie plate!
How To Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Start by preheating the oven and lining cookie trays with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
To make cookie dough, add butter and peanut butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium high until light and fluffy. Add the granulated and brown sugar, then mix again until fully combined. Now add the egg and vanilla, mixing again until it’s well blended.
Now add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the wet ingredients then mix until just combined.
Place 1/2 cup of sugar on a plate to roll the cookies in and take about 1.5 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll it into a ball. Roll the ball into the granulated sugar then place on the prepared cookie trays. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough. Using the bottom of a glass press each cookie flat, to about 1/2” thickness. Then use a fork to press the tines into each cookie to create a pattern. You know the one! Repeat with all of the cookies on the tray.
Once the cookies are ready, place the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 7-9 minutes, until just golden brown around the edges. Let cool two minutes on tray then remove to a wire rack to cool. Cookies are great using crunchy or smooth peanut butter, this recipe even works well with most almond butters.
How To Store Them
These can be made ahead and frozen in an airtight container for about a month. If you’ve made a double batch, separate them with parchment paper and take out only what you need when you need it.
Thaw on the counter for a few hours before serving or consuming.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, either smooth or crunchy is fine
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling the cookies in
- Preheat oven to 375 and line cookie trays with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, with paddle attachment, add the peanut butter and butter then blend until smooth, two minutes.
- Add the granulated and brown sugar to the bowl and mix on medium high until well combined.
- Add the egg and the vanilla to the butter mixture and mix again until fully incorporated.
- Now add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl and mix on medium until everything is just combined.
- Now take about 1.5 tablespoons of the cookie dough and roll it into a ball. Then roll the cookie ball into the granulated sugar to cover completely.
- Place the cookie ball on the prepared tray and repeat this process until you’ve used up all the cookie dough.
- Use a glass to flatten each cookie ball to a 1/2″ thickness then use the tines of a fork to press in and create a criss cross pattern. Repeat this with all the cookies.
- Place prepared cookies into the oven and bake for 7-9 minutes. Let cookies cool on tray two minutes then remove to wire rack to cool…or eat them 😉