This classic gingerbread recipe combines everything we love in old fashioned gingerbread. It is dense yet moist and crumbly, filled with molasses and spices. It is the perfect dessert for the holidays and can be served with a topping of caramel sauce and whipped cream, a dusting of icing sugar, or plain with a nice cup of tea!
I like to make this gingerbread as a special Christmas Eve treat. Served with homemade caramel sauce and whipped cream, this decadent dessert becomes comfort food in no time. If you’d like to make it the same way here is a link to the Caramel Sauce I serve with the cake.
How to Make Classic Gingerbread
To make the cake is quite simple. Start by lining a 9” square pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with butter and preheat the oven. In a small bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves and whisk to combine then set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer add the butter and brown sugar then mix on high speed until fully combined fluffy. Add the molasses and mix again until incorporated fully. Then add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Now get the bowl with the flour/spices and add it to the wet ingredients. Mix on medium until fully combined. Then add 1 cup of hot water and mix again on medium until it is fully incorporated.
Now pour the gingerbread batter into the prepared cake pan and spread it into an even layer. Place in the preheated oven to bake. The cake should be just starting to crisp at the edges. To make sure, perform the toothpick test. Once baked remove from the oven and let cool about ten minutes before removing from the pan.
Then dust with icing sugar if desired, or serve with caramel sauce and whipped cream for a decadent dessert.
- 3 cups ap flour
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 1 cup, packed, dark brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a 9″ square pan with parchment and lightly grease.
- In a small bowl add the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine then set aside.
- In a stand mixer add the butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add the molasses and mix again until combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to mix completely between each addition.
- Now add the flour and spice mixture to the wet ingredients in the stand mixer. Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add the hot water and mix again on medium speed until the water is completely combined into the batter.
- Place the cake batter into the prepared pan and place in the preheated oven to bake. This will take about 35-40 minutes, use a tooth pick to test be careful not to over bake.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.