These Crisp Lemon Sugar Cookies have a crisp outside with a soft inside and the perfect punch of lemon flavour. They are buttery and super simple to make, and even easier to eat. Great with a cup of tea, or after a meal and you can even use them to make ice cream sandwiches as a treat in the summer!
HOW TO MAKE THEM
Start by lining cookie trays with parchment paper and preheating the oven. In a large mixing bowl combine the butter, shortening, lemon zest, and sugar. Then mix until light and fluffy.
Pro Tip: Adding the zest at this point will help it release its oils for a stronger lemon flavour. It’s the same reason you should rub lemon zest before adding it, makes it release the oils, and increases flavour.
Next add the extracts, milk, and egg, then mix until it is all combined. Then in a small bowl add the flour, salt, and baking powder and whisk to combine. Add the flour, in two separate additions to the butter-sugar mixture in the large bowl. Mixing well between each addition.
Once the dry ingredients have been incorporated into the wet, be careful not to over mix,. Roll the cookies into 1” balls. Then roll the cookies into granulated sugar, repeating until you’ve used all the dough.
Place the prepared cookie balls onto the tray, then using a glass flatten the cookies. Place the cookies into the preheated oven and bake until done and edges are golden brown.
Remove the cookies from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
HOW TO STORE THEM
Now your house smells lovely and you deserve a cookie. These cookies also freeze really well, so if you can’t finish them all place them in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups ap flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line cookie trays with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add butter, shortening, sugar, and lemon zest then whisk until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, milk, and extracts then mix again until fully combined.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking soda then mix to combine.
- Add the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, in two separate additions, mixing well to combine.
- Roll the dough into 1″ balls, then roll the ball into the extra granulated sugar and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat until you have used all the dough.
- Using a glass flatten each cookie. Place the prepared cookies into the preheated oven and bake for 8-10, or until edges just starting to turn golden brown.
- Once you take the tray out of the oven immediately remove the cookies to a wired rack and let cool.